Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Grandpa

I know it has been forever since I have posted. Life has been crazy around here and my computer died and then all our stuff got wiped out, including pictures and all my songs that I had put on to my i-tunes! Luckily I didn't have many pics on here, but still it is SO frustrating. I have Halloween pics, jazz game pics, Bronco game pics and other things still on my camera because I haven't downloaded the program for my camera onto the computer yet and I just don't have the energy to do it now.

The past few months have been a roller coaster of emotion. My Grandpa Willes had surgery while we were at Disneyland to repair a small hole between the chambers of his heart. It was a fairly simple procedure but during his recovery they discovered a tumor near his pancreas. They didn't know what it was or if it was attached to his pancreas so they did a biopsy and ct scan. We first heard that they didn't think it was attached so we were thinking it was great news and they would be able to remove it. Then we found out it was cancer and in fact it was attached to the pancreas and it was pushing on an artery that goes from the pancreas to the liver. They decided to do Chemotherapy and Radiation to try to shrink the tumor and then hopefully do surgery. He had been on blood thinner due to his surgery so they would never do surgery until he was done taking that. He started the chemo and radiation and was doing fairly well, but was tired. Then he had to have a stint put in to remove some blockage somewhere else (I can't remember where it is!), then it got infected so he was back in the hospital. They put in a different stint and then he was feeling better. A few weeks later, he was back in the hospital for bleeding in his stomach from ulcers (a side effect of the chemo) but coupled with the blood thinner he had lost almost half his volume and had to do a transfusion. Once he got the blood and was off the chemo for a couple days he started to feel better. He even went home from the hospital. Then last week he had a very high fever and they were worried that he had pneumonia so he was back in the hospital. They found out that he was once again having bleeding ulcers and had lost at least 2 more pints of blood. His billirubin was high so they were worried that the stint was clogged again. They also decided to take him completely off the chemo and do another ct scan to see if the treatment had helped.

The oncologist invited the whole family to come to the hospital when she gave my grandpa the results this morning. Jordan was sweet enough to stay home with the kids so I could go. It meant the world to me to be able to be there. What we found out is not the greatest news. The good thing is that his billirubin count had gone down so they don't think the stint is clogged so that means he can eat and drink again since he doesn't have to have a scope done to clean it out. But the ct scan showed that the tumor has not shrunk, in fact they say it may have enlarged a small amount. It is still pressing on the artery that feeds the liver (which could be the cause of higher billirubin) and they want him to finish his radiation. He only has the rest of this week left and then he will probably get a repeat scan done to see what is going on. Then he will meet again with the surgeon to see what he thinks. The doctor wouldn't give him a time frame, which we were grateful for since we are afraid that his spirits are down and he would just give up.

This has been such a difficult thing for me. I have always been very close to all of my grandparents and they are all still living (I know I am lucky). But I just didn't think something this serious was going to happen anytime soon. My Dad and Cam gave him a blessing today after they doctor left and I have faith that my Heavenly Father will do what is best. He gets to go home which is great. I know he would rather be there than at the hospital. Spending time with family is what he loves best. I just love my grandpa so much and I really don't want to lose him. He has a great sense of humor and a loving heart. I think I get my (over)emotions from him. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and is not afraid to let someone know how he feels about them. He is always there for me whenever I need him and he loves me for who I am. He is always serving those around him. He clears all the sidewalks on his street in the winter because he feels bad for the kids in the neighborhood that have to walk to school in the snow. And he shovels some of the neighbors driveways. I pray that he will be OK and that he will continue to be strong and fight this with all his might. But if that is not to be, I pray that I will have strength and that the rest of my family will have strength too. Any more prayers that you would be willing to send our way would be greatly appreciated, I know they help give comfort if nothing else.

14 comments:

kimberly said...

What a sweet tribute to your Grandpa. He will for sure be in our prayers. Keep me updated and let me know if you ever need me to watch your kids so you can be with him.

Aubrey said...

Jen- I am sorry to hear all the stuff that is going on. I will for sure keep you and your family in my prayers. I hope things get better either way.

On a different note, when are we going to go work out?

Mackey Family said...

Jen-
I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. I know how important he is in your life & will always be. He is a great man. I have many fond memories of him & your grandma from when we were kids.
Know that you and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you guys!!

Ali said...

Jenny, I am so sorry to hear about your Grandpa. We will definitely say some prayers for you and your family. I'll be thinking about you.

PartyOfFour said...

Wow! I wondered where you had gone, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. It's so difficult to watch our grandparents grow older as we do. We'll be thinking about you.

Take care.

Misty Anderson said...

Oh Dang! Sorry your going through such a hard time right now we will keep you all in our prayers! It is good to hear from your blog again!

Cassie said...

Jen, I'm so sorry. Let me know if I can do anything for you... I lost my grandpa last year. It's so hard watching them suffer and go through these stupid medical issues. Hang in there woman.

Stephanie said...

I am so sorry that you are going through all this! i hope he will be okay,we will pray for him!
p.s my computer crashed too and i lost all my itunes so if you figure out how to get them back let me know:)

Renee said...

Jen, I will keep you & your family in my prayers! :)

Michelle said...

I am so so sorry. I am in tears for you. I watched my grandpa struggle with pancreatic cancer too and it was so hard. Grandpa's are supposed to be strong! I will be thinking of you and keeping your family in my prayers.

Amber! said...

Good luck, Jen. I am so sorry. It sounds like this has been long and drawn out. I pray for the best for you and your family1

Anonymous said...

Jen so sorry about your Grandpa. My prayers are with your family.

Kaarina said...

My heart breaks reading what you have been going through. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need any help at all with the kids, I would love to take them. Hang in there...

Kellie Glade said...

I always loved how close you were to your grandparents. We will for sure keep him in our prayers. Take care.